Historic Sites


On this page you will find pictures and information about historic sites in El Sobrante. As more sites come to our attention, the number of identified sites will grow. The criteria for adding a site to this page is somewhat subjective, but, in general, each site must be at least 50 years old and be of historic significance in the development of our community.

Thode Ranch House

Click on the first image to see an expanded view plus explanatory text

Maloney Ranch
Campbell Home

Walter and Alice Campbell moved from Rodeo to El Sobrante in 1934.  They built this home along what is now known as Campbell Lane, which leads to the Canyon Pool.  Their son, Edward, grew up in this home and became a volunteer fireman.  He married a girl who worked on the Skow Dairy, across the San Pablo Dam Road.  He lived all his life in El Sobrante.

Oliver's Hardware 

Click on the first image to see an expanded view plus explanatory text

Park Theatre

For over 100 years, the Adachi family has been in the floral nursery business.  Originally operating in El Cerrito, the family opened this business in 1967, at the corner of Valley View and Sobrante Avenue. Designed by the firm of Hardison and Komatsu, the structure is not only historically important, as the last remnant of the Japanese horticultural tradition in West County, but, as an example of mid-century modern architecture, from a prominent local architect, it is architecturally significant as well.

Richmond Farm Creamery Homes

These two homes were built in 1929 on the site of the Skow Dairy, also known as the Richmond Farm Creamery.  The dairy was located just west of Clark Road, on the south side of the Dam Road.  These homes, little changed, represent all that is left of the dairy operation.  Their architectural style is unique in the area and the structures are easily identified. 

This grocery market, located on Manor Road, is one of the oldest continuously operating markets in our community.  Certainly, it is the oldest such business with an unchanged name.  It was operated by Gene and Martha Chan from 1952 to 1988.  Both Gene and Martha were very active in the community.  The building itself has changed little over the years.

Louis Store

Opening in 1950, the new "Fairway Market" offered a level of service "not available, heretofore, in this area."  Part of the Louis Store chain, the name quickly changed to just "Louis Store."  It has changed hands many times over the years, and today houses a Dollar Tree operation.

CCC Rock Wall,
San Pablo Reservoir

Probably the oldest continuously operating bar in downtown El Sobrante, the Rancho originally opened in 1950 as Tom's. Featuring a western theme, which largely remains, at least on the inside, the bar has become one of the downtown's most recognizable watering holes.  The name changed to the Rancho in 1961, with a change in ownership.

This little shopping center, right in the heart of the downtown, was opened in July, 1960.  This picture was taken in 1975, but little had changed since the center was built, and the site looks much the same today, though the businesses have changed.  The sign is original.

Hill View Center

The styling captures the "Ranch Style" typical of the 1950s and 1960s.  

©2018 El Sobrante Historical Society        Webmaster: roxymiraválle        eshistory@gmail.com

  • White Facebook Icon
Louis Store, 2011

The "Super Fairway Market" opened in July of 1950, and was by far the largest food market in El Sobrante at the time. In the recent past, it has been home to the Salvation Army Goodwill store, and is currently operating as a Dollar Tree store.